Darkroom Photography: Analogue Processes at London College of Communication
Taught by LAPC Directors Melanie King and Almudena Romero
This course will give you an understanding of the background and current use of alternative photography techniques and become familiar with the possibilities and opportunities they offer.You will have the opportunity to make images using these techniques in the darkroom and be able to produce your own original images to a good standard...
This course will give you an understanding of the background and current use of alternative photography techniques and become familiar with the possibilities and opportunities they offer.
You will have the opportunity to make images using these techniques in the darkroom and be able to produce your own original images to a good standard. You will also have an understanding of the current use of these images in combination with digital techniques such as digitally printed negatives and the use of such images in print media.
- Historical context and how the legacy of alternative photography can be used in contemporary art
- Chemistry behind cyanotype and van dyck printing.
- Wavelengths of light and their applications to photography i.e. using ultraviolet light from the sun to expose prints
- Mixing cyanotype and van dyck chemistry and applying it to paper
- Composing and exposing photograms.
- Making a digital negative and exposing it on to sensitized paper.
- Processing cyanotype and van dyck prints.
- Toning cyanotype prints.
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Create a selection of images using these techniques
- Acquire a historical knowledge of the two processes
- Understand alternative photography's place in contemporary image making techniques
- Have an understanding of the processes involved in cameraless techniques
Who Should Attend
Photography students, practicing artists and those interested in analogue and historical photography processes.
Beginner: You should have basic computer and photography skills. No alternative photography processes experience is required.